Saturday, May 5, 2012

Interview - Is Chinese Important in Society?


I was interviewed by a NYU student one day after my Mandarin class for her research paper on why learning Chinese is so important for society. At the time, I was at a loss for words and it seemed to me like the answer is very obvious. I have Chinese roots. I am Chinese. Why shouldn’t I learn Chinese?

My interviewer was more specific. She asked me why is learning Chinese so important to our society? I was at a loss for words. Chinese is important because…

we do business in China?

That’s the only thing I could come up with. Living in the United States, there is no real reason to learn Chinese just like there isn’t any reason to particularly learn French unless we are doing business with people who speak those languages. The only important languages in the United States are English and Spanish in my opinion because it is so apparent everywhere. Sure, a lot of documents and forms in the New York state are slowly being translated into Chinese, but what for? Chinese people only make up 3% (2010 U.S. Census Bureau data for New York) of the population in New York City.

I’m not saying Chinese culture is not important, but when I think of culture as a whole, it’s not very significant in the United States. Most Americans do not take a day off on Chinese New Year nor do they know when the Chinese New Year begins. Ask a random person what zodiac year we are in and they would probably draw a blank. Only Chinese or people who work with Chinese people would know the answer.

Then, my interviewer started asking me questions about whether or not I use it at work. I sheepishly replied that we don’t because I work in a laboratory who aids in clinical trials. Unless we had a Chinese client, I don’t think I’d be using Chinese any time soon at work. I believe we would use Chinese most often when we’re buying something at the Chinese supermarket or store and when we’re eating at a Chinese restaurant.

Sadly, I came to the conclusion that unless we’re interested in Chinese entertainment or Chinese business, there is no other major reason to learn Chinese. The last Mandarin paid class I attended in Manhattan was full of students who needed to go to China at some point in their lives to do business and maybe do a little sightseeing on the side.

Why learn Chinese then?

I have a natural interest in learning Chinese and its culture. I’m sure I am different than my brother or cousins in that I constantly want to learn more and I often fantasize that I am actually from China or Hong Kong. I am a bit of a hypocrite because I use English when speaking to Chinese people and I’m more comfortable communicating in English more than Chinese. Even then, my interest in Chinese never wanes.

Lastly, my interviewer asked me how long I plan on learning Chinese. One year? Two years?

I thought of it as a ridiculous question and simple replied, “forever.”

My interviewer opened her mouth in wonder. She then released her “ah~” moment with the realization that my answer had a deep meaning. She was expecting a short time span while I was expecting lifetime commitment. What more was there to say? We concluded our short interview. I actually had so much more to say, but I didn’t have much time to think it through. I enjoyed the opportunity to speak with my interviewer who was a Chinese Cantonese speaker. I wonder if she would continue her lifelong commitment to learning Chinese as well, but at least she is writing a paper about how important the Chinese language is in society for school.

No matter what language we are learning, I believe there is no end to learning. We are constantly learning even when we’re outside the classroom. We all learn at different levels, different comprehension speeds, and from difference experiences. Hopefully, I can compile the most interesting subjects in the hopes that it may interest you. Never stop learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update cookies preferences